Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ruins and the Arrival in Rome

While trying to write this post, I've realized there isn't much I can do other than summarize how we traveled to Pompeii, provide some captions for the pictures I took, and then tell you that I made it safely to Rome. So, that's just what I'll do.

We checked out of our nice little Bed and Breakfast around 8:30AM, then left out belonging there to be picked up that afternoon, after our return from Pompeii. After a breakfast of plastic wrapped croissants and espresso, we once again boarded the Cirumvesuviano, this time getting off at the stop called Pompeii.

It was a little pricey to get in, somewhere around 20-30€, but definitely worth it. The archaeological site is huge and, even though most of it is roped of for excavation and minor restoration projects, one would be hard pressed to visit the entire site in a day. To compensate, I put on my running shoes and some good socks and walked my feet into the ground. I'll let the pictures do the talking from here. To view more, go here. You can also get to my other albums from the trip there as well.

From 2 Pompeii


From 2 Pompeii


From 2 Pompeii


From 2 Pompeii


Again, for more photos go to the aforementioned link.

After returning to Naples we walked around for a little bit, and then took our train to Rome. When staying in a bed and breakfast, be sure you nail down the address of the bed and breakfast itself...not that of the owners. They were very nice, though, and their son (an astronomy student) showed us to our big, spacious room for the night. We then walked around and found some quick food, and sleep time is to follow.

Tomorrow's objectives: The Colosseum, the Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment