Friday, September 18, 2009

A Napoli Night

Tonight marks the first night of our Fall break, and I am spending it with two friends, Cheri and Eli, in Italy. Well, at least until next Wednesday when I fly to London to meet up with Marshall and Matt. Pretty exciting.

Tonight we're in Naples and, since Naples is not exactly the most refined place, I did not take out my camera to take any pictures and will instead be doing so tomorrow during the day when Moroccan people in purple track suits are not offering to show me shortcuts around the city (didn't accept, no worries). We ate at the perfect Italian pizzeria tonight, Pizzeria Da Michele, which served up classic Napolitano pizzas. There were only two options: margherita and marinera. I elected for the marinera, which was a wonderfully simple pizza made from freshly pureed tomatoes, garlic, and oregano. That's it. And it was perfect.

Street view:

View Larger Map


Later on in our meal we were joined by a man named Francesco since we had an open, fourth seat. He works in the biometrics industry in Torino and was in Naples on a business trip. Very nice guy. He gave us a few travel tips, such as stay in after 10PM if you can help it and don't display any jewelry or expensive things at all. I figured as much already, but it reinforced my camera and cell phone's shared desire of staying in my pockets.

Now we're back in our room at the B&B Firenze 32 (no picture or good website that I can find, other than the booking website - B&Bs are very different overseas, though, and are quite a deal for such a nice room!), and we're looking forward to both breakfast in our rooms and a day in Sorrento and possibly Amalfi tomorrow. I'm super excited, because the Amalfi coast has been on the top of my "Must-go-before-I-die" travel list for quite some time, and my my friend Matt (not the one I'm meeting in London) hooked me up with some good travel tips.

Well, we may watch a movie before we all bed down. It's about 9PM right now, and I'm totally okay with an early bedtime. Our train this morning from Geneva left at 5:45AM, and we got here at around 4:30PM. I had a lot of trouble sleeping on the train because it was both really exciting and because the seats do not recline. I listened to music and read the whole time instead.

I don't normally give travel advice unsolicited, but I totally recommend asking the owner of places you stay, such as this bed and breakfast, for advice on places to go and restaurants to eat at. The pizzeria we ate at was not in any travel guides, but I can confidently say it was one of the best, if not the best, pizzas I have ever eaten in my entire life.

It's past my Napolitano bedtime - buonanotte!

3 comments:

  1. ANDREW WILKINS.
    YOU ATE AT PIZZERIA DA MICHELE?!?!?!?
    This is *prominently* featured in the wonderful book Eat Pray Love: "Holy of holies! Thin, doughy, strong, gummy, yummy, chewy, salty pizza paradise."
    AHHHH JEALOUS!!!
    Ok I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, really? That makes me laugh - we had no idea! But, I can say for certain that I totally understand why that pizzeria would be described as such - it was divine.

    I hope you're doing well, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. alright friend, you've got to teach me to do the street view trick. i'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete